A Wrinkle in Time

A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle

When people are talking about bad books, there's a line I've noticed that they like to toss in a lot. Sometimes it's vindictive, sometimes it's just for a laugh, but it's never complimentary to the material. That line happens to be: "It was a dark and stormy night."

Guess what the first sentence of this book is?

Okay, fine. It was written decades ago, times were different. But still, this book is so revered in the modern day that I expected to like it. I didn't expect to be bored out of my mind.

Nothing happens in this book. Really. There's a dark, formless menace for a bad guy (with the ultimate worst name I've ever, ever encountered). There's a young, insecure heroine who finds out she can be powerful. There's space-travel, although no matter how they describe it, it doesn't make any sense to me. There's a kidnapping and alien things. With all of this, I would expect to be entertained, but unfortunately most of the book's pages were spent on describing the heroine's family problems, her thought processes and quirks, and the weather. The stuff that should have been interesting would spend a page or two "on camera" and then vanish again immediately.

It was just too......cheesy. Too much sappy stuff, too much talk about the power of love, and the ending was so sugary that just thinking about it makes my teeth want to rot. I'm all for happy endings, but good grief, there must be a limit.

It probably doesn't deserve the one star I gave it. Lots of people love it, and you might too; it just wasn't for me.