The Wise Man's Fear - 'Patrick Rothfuss' This book is over 1,000 pages long, and I enjoyed probably 650 pages of it as much as the first book--not a bad accomplishment, considering how much I love The Name of the Wind. The writing in this book was just as good as in the first book--aka, superb--and for the most part, the characters were still amazing. The plot stays true to Kvothe's quote in the beginning of the first book; Rothfuss beautifully draws out the threads of his life exactly as Kvothe had promised they would happen. All of this, plus the fact that it didn't shatter my high expectations, makes this book incredible.

However...I do have problems with it, which I can't say of The Name of the Wind.

My main trouble with Wise Man's Fear is the fact that it's so chapterized. Kvothe spends a certain number of pages here, doing this; and then he goes there, and does that; and then he goes there, and does that. Almost as if each piece could have been a book on its own, completely walled off from the others except for the occasional passing mention of the fact that "I did this, there," in Kvothe's voice. I've seen separate books that have more of a connection to their series-fellows than this book does from one chunk of chapters to the next.

And, yes, I'll admit that my love of Kvothe was unfortunately diminished somewhat in this book. I love Bast even more, but Kvothe...no. I won't spoil anything for you, but Kvothe changes in the second half of the book, and not in a good way. It even seems to affect who he is at the inn, outside his narrative. It makes me want to cry and punch him in the face, and break his perfect nose, all at once. But, we can't have everything, I suppose.

Much of the second half of the book, or at least the final third, was far too indulgent, on the author's part. Eurgh. I wish so much of that had been edited out of the book. I wasn't expecting to have to read through it, and it frustrated, annoyed and, frankly, appalled me when I found out that I did. As I said, it made me want to cry and rip things apart....but we can't have everything, I suppose....

Anyway, I count it as a compliment to this book that I still want to give it four stars despite its staggering problems. That tells you how amazing the good parts are, and that I'll read the thing again, sometime, regardless of the points I didn't like.

I also want to note that I seem to spot a lot of obvious hints and refrences in this book that no one else picks up on, so...keep an eye open when you read it. I'm pretty sure I have the third book all figured out in my head--unless Rothfuss pulls the same nasty tricks with that one that he did with this one...I'm dreading the possibility, but we'll see.