Fallen - Lauren Kate WARNING ABOUT THE BOOK

Okay, so, this is not just going to be a review for Fallen. It's going to be a rant about what I call "The Book", okay?

The Book is, essentially, a (YA, mostly) book about two people (teenagers) meeting (usually in school). One of them has superpowers (is immortal, undead, angelic, werewolf, etc.). The MC is surrounded by (useless and undeveloped props called) friends. Adults in general are killed off beforehand or just extremely absent from The Book (because otherwise, they would...). The MC, usually female, is probably an outcast (or has a misunderstood mental illness, or a self-loathing complex, or is new in town, or has a terrible responsibility on her shoulders and thus has no time for romance). She is often (a snotty witch, and/or brainless leech who is satisfied with life if it just gives her a boyfriend) single, but not always (because sometimes she needs to *swoon* choose between them, or banish her established boyfriend so that he can die/become the villain/join the villain/whine about her new relationship). Oh, yes, and everyone, everyone, if they're a MC or the MC's love interest, must be Stunningly Beautiful. Okay, are you with me so far? Let's go.

Often the boy is new in town. He is Stunningly Beautiful. He is mysterious. He keeps secrets (doesn't believe the MC has any brains at all to comprehend the situation with). (This is if he's the one with superpowers. If not, reverse description to heroine). He will often watch MC while she sleeps, or give her sage advice without telling her why, or wake her up in the middle of the night for some exciting (*gags*) escapade. (And his main, and usually sole, personality trait is a creepy obsession over the MC.) He is often very concerned for the MC's safety (possessive, domineering and stalkerish). There is often something strange (and this was probably original once) going on with his eyes--strange coloration, glowing, changing from scene to scene or with his moods.

MC usually blames herself for something. She is usually Stunningly Beautiful, but doesn't recognize (won't acknowledge) it. Either she or he has a tragic (feel sorry for me) past. She is surrounded by (requisite) loving friends (whom she must ignore to be with her boyfriend more often).

She and he (inevitably) fall in love. There is The Scene, which involves The Revelation about his/her past and/or superpowers. Neither will be thrown by The Revelation that their love interest is not (human) normal, because (they have no brains) they are probably destined to be together/soul mates. (Alternate version involves love triangle, in which MC is faced with the heartrending choice of choosing Stunningly Beautiful #1 or Stunningly Beautiful #2. Unfortunately, their personality traits are rarely much different from one another, so her choice comes down to whether she likes blue eyes or green.)

They continue to meet often (run into each other over and over again in such unlikely manners and places that they would crash the Coincidence Train by looking at it). They overcome some terrible obstacle or villain (furious ex, evil adults, conspiracy centered solely on him or her). And they Live Happily Ever After.

An example list of The Book, from what I've read, follows. Please inform me if you agree, or if you have one to add. Thank you very much for your time.

Fallen, (look above) by Lauren Kate.
The Twilight Saga, by Stephenie Meyer.
Lament, by Maggie Stiefvater.
Nightshade, by Andrea Cremer.
The Dark Guardians books, by Rachel Hawthorne.
Hush, Hush, by Becca Fitzpatrick.
Evermore, by Alyson Noel.
13 to Life, by Shannon Delany.
Tiger's Curse, by Colleen Houck.
Firelight, by Sophie Jordan.
The Hourglass Door, by Lisa Mangum.
Halo, by Alexandra Adornetto.
Wicked Lovely, by Melissa Marr.
Angelfire, by Courtney Allison Moulton.
Demon in My View, by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes.
I Am Number Four, by Pittacus Lore (this one barely, because there is a credible battle scene at the end).

I will probably add to this list as I think of (unfortunately, read) more of them. Thank you again. Have a wonderful day.