Here, There Be Dragons - James A. Owen I picked this book up because I was eleven and in love with Eragon--this is before Eldest even came out, so I was starving for some good dragon books. This one was blue, so I bought it.

I didn't love it, but it was good. Some scenes were brilliant; bits and pieces of the plot were brilliant. My main problem with this book is the constant dramatic revealing of things I'd figured out a long time ago. The three characters, for instance. I knew who John was at the beginning of the book, and Jack before the halfway point (and I wondered, "Why the heck did they mess with his name, and then give him something boring like Jack in its place?")

The characters were bland, even the MC's. They weren't completely cardboard, but no one in the entire book really stood out. I don't think this was a mistake of character-building so much as the simplistic, grey writing style.

All in all, still a good book. The second book is much better, and the third one is even better than that. I stopped reading there, because even though I own the fourth book, I was so irritated that he ended the third one perfectly and then just had to write more, that I could never get into it. As far as I'm concerned, this book belongs to a solidly good trilogy.