Hellboy

Hellboy - Yvonne Navarro I'll be honest: the Hellboy movies are my two favorite movies in the world. Whichever one I watched most recently will be on top, but they're always numbers one and two on a quite extensive list. I realize that they might be insulting to fans of the actual comic books, and I understand and respect that--I've been insulted by poor book-to-movie adaptions before. But that doesn't change the fact that I like the comics and I love the movies.

That said, this book is based off of the first Hellboy movie. It's perfect. It captures the action, the humor, the characters...it edits the facts just a bit, but never in a way that irritates me. If there's anyone out there who adores those movies even half as much as I do, I can't recommend this book enough. And even if you've never heard of Hellboy before, I still recommend it--it's set on a very easy concept to grasp and written openly and beautifully. It's just full to the brim of the things that made me love the movies first--action, humor, monsters, magic, explosions, amazing characters, and an especially grim and somewhat sarcastic plot...and best yet, it's a book. (The little voice in the back of my head is rolling its eyes. "No, really?)

All of that aside, though--seriously, read this! If you don't love it, you must be a different and very alien species of human being (different than I am, anyway).