Alice in the Country of Hearts: The Clockmaker's Story

Alice in the Country of Hearts: The Clockmaker's Story - QuinRose, Mamenosuke Fujimaru, Angela Liu

Same as with Ace of Hearts, I love the characters except when the romance angle makes them act oddly.

I never noticed that Julius was romantically interested in Alice at all, in the main series - he was more like a protective father, which I loved about him. Even in the scene where he hugged her (main series), it looked like he was trying not to touch her. Poor thing. But in this volume, I guess they had to edit him a little or else the volume wouldn't even exist.....

Anyway. Julius is always awfully sweet, and he has the best character design of anyone in the main series. One of my main problems with this volume is that they changed his character design. His lovely long clock earring? It's so tiny it's barely there, and his overall look is much simpler than it used to be. And he looks younger, which kind of creeps me out. And they shortened his gorgeous hair.

Oh, and they ruined poor Boris, too - the Boris I know would never ever kill somebody in front of Alice, even if it was someone she didn't know personally. In fact, in the main series he wouldn't kill somebody that Alice knew even when she wasn't around to see it. But in this volume, it's apparently okay for him to shoot Julius - who Alice loves - right in front of her? No. Just no.

But aside from some iffy situations like that, there were a lot of sweet Julius scenes in here (not the romance ones, those irritate me, but the other ones). I'm still glad I bought it.