Alice in the Country of Hearts:The Mad Hatter's Late Night Tea Party, Vol. 1

Alice in the Country of Hearts: The Mad Hatter's Late Night Tea Party, Vol. 01 - QuinRose, Riko Sakura

.....And if that's not the longest post title I've ever put down, I'll eat my hat.

It really hurts to give this one such a low rating, since Blood is my favorite character, but ugh, I just didn't enjoy it at all. Half the scenes in this volume are ripped off from the main series, except Blood....is wrong, okay? It's like this guy is an actor trying to be Blood, but he's just not doing a very good job. Half the time he looks like he's about to burst into tears for no reason. He rants and rants about tea like it's the only thing in the world he enjoys. He actually bullied Alice into kissing him, which Blood would NEVER do.

He wasn't scary, he wasn't evil, he wasn't charming or chivalrous or sneaky or bitter, all the things that I've always loved about him. He was just silly.

The artwork was poorly done, too. The scenery was sketchy, the characters looked much too young and their eyes were entirely too big for their faces, and the textures and shading were awful and inconsistent. This was maybe the artist's first time drawing manga, or something? I don't know. It was just so sloppy. And the artist clearly has some trouble drawing fight scenes, because Blood held his gun in a way that someone who knew how to use a gun never would, and the panels where people were shot or cut down were conveniently fuzzy or indirect.

There was also practically no character development for anyone except Blood and Alice.

The whole thing was just.....disappointing. I don't think I'll be buying the next one.