Reading progress update: I've read 269 out of 526 pages.

The Hero of Ages  - Brandon Sanderson

Vin nodded, and eyed the dance floor. "One dance before we split up?"

This is not happening. This isn't my Vin. This isn't the same awesome Vin I read about in the first book, the girl who actually killed the Lord Ruler by herself. You know, the girl who had her brain mostly where it mattered? The one who never stopped moving or theorizing or sneaking around or working to better herself...or just spying on everyone to make sure they weren't going to backstab each other?

GIRL. YOU HAVE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT THAN DANCING WITH YOUR HUSBAND. THINGS LIKE, YOU KNOW, THE END OF THE WORLD.

Get your act together already, Vin! Gah.

.........But then three paragraphs later, we get this (and the bold is all mine):

She knew that she should probably have worked to reinforce her contacts, but the truth was that she felt a little bit of what Elend did. Not truly nervousness, but rather a desire to avoid typical ball activities. She wasn't here to mingle. She had more important tasks to be concerned with.

First, note that she nods to Elend's feelings - he said he was FEELING NERVOUS, but even though Vin says that she's NOT FEELING NERVOUSNESS, she says it's the same feeling as Elend has.

EITHER IT'S NERVOUSNESS OR IT'S NOT. AND EITHER YOU'RE BOTH FEELING THE SAME THING OR YOU AREN'T. MAKE UP YOUR MIND ALREADY, YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!!

And second, note the bold words: Vin says she wants to "avoid typical ball activities". But then why did she ask Elend to dance, three seconds ago?

And the other bold stuff: somewhere in there, our Vin is fuming. I can tell. She really REALLY wants to start doing some awesome Mistborn stuff and get back in the game and START SAVING THE WORLD, but Sanderson is having none of that, he wants this book to be good and long and rambling, and he wants to keep Vin and her Mistborn activities as off-camera as possible. So occasionally a little line like that second bolded sentence sneaks out - that's our Vin trying to make herself heard through the mess Sanderson insists on showing us now.

She's in there somewhere. I wish Sanderson would just let her loose. :(